Aerial Images Indicate Iran's Navy and Nuclear Facilities Targeted by American and Israeli Airstrikes.

Multiple US and Israeli attacks has reportedly eliminated or harmed no fewer than eleven warships belonging to Iran since Saturday, new orbital imagery demonstrate, with rocket sites and nuclear sites also coming under fire.

Photographs of the southern Konarak naval base and the Bandar Abbas installation, which sits on the Strait of Hormuz and houses the main command of the Iranian navy, reveal plumes of smoke rising from multiple vessels on the start of the week.

Naval Fleet Incurred Substantial Damage

Among the targets eliminated was the IRINS Makran, Iran's biggest warship which had been used as a unmanned aerial vehicle platform. Satellite images showed dark plumes pouring from the ship which had been stationed at the Bandar Abbas naval base.

Intelligence evaluations state that no fewer than a quintet of warships at Bandar Abbas were "struck or destroyed". Photos of the south end of the harbor reveal smoke rising from the IRINS Makran, while additional vessels appear to be harmed, with a single one visibly ablaze.

Over at the Konarak base, images display several stricken ships, with expert review identifying impacts on a half-dozen warships. Images from Monday also show that several facilities at the base have been leveled.

"For decades the Tehran government has harassed commercial vessels," an American commander stated. "At present, there is no Iranian vessel operational in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz or Gulf of Oman, and we will continue."

A number of vessels allegedly sunk may have been concealed in satellite images by cloud or smoke, or targeted offshore, and have yet to be fully confirmed. Additional information stated that an Iranian vessel was sinking near Sri Lanka's waters, resulting in a rescue operation.

Rocket Installations and Atomic Locations Hit

The destruction of Tehran's launch facilities and the prevention of atomic bomb programs were listed as other goals of the military strikes. Satellite images also depicted strikes on the southern Khorgu and north-western Tabriz missile bases, and at the Konarak air base, where rocket warehouses and fortifications were struck.

At the Choqa Balk-e drone unmanned aircraft site to the west of Kermanshah, extensive damage was observed to sheds, underground facilities and UAV launching apparatus.

Destruction was also noted at a radar site at the Zahedan airbase airbase in eastern parts of the country, near the frontier with neighboring nations.

Of particular note, the new round of attacks have apparently focused on sites at Natanz – widely believed to be at the center of Iran's atomic program. The UN's atomic energy body said that the damaged buildings were used for access to the facility's below-ground nuclear plant and that "no radiological consequence" was likely.

Wider Consequences and Assessment

Defense experts stated that the strikes appeared to have "greatly reduced" the Iranian navy's capability to sustain standard operations using its biggest warships. However, it was stressed that Iran still has the option to launch irregular strikes at sea through the use of unmanned aerial vehicles, mini-submarines and its so-called "clandestine network" of oil ships.

The total scale of the destruction caused to Iranian military infrastructure has yet to be fully assessed, with strikes said to be continuing. Photos also indicates widespread destruction to the command center of the Iran's Revolutionary Guards in the city of Tehran.

A large number of civilian buildings also appear to have been hit in the capital city and across the country since the hostilities escalated. Reports of deaths from inside Iran state that hundreds of civilians may have been fatally injured in the strikes.

As the situation develops, monitoring of satellite imagery will continue to track the changing scope of damage.

Devin Brady
Devin Brady

Lena is a cybersecurity specialist with over 10 years of experience in IT infrastructure and digital risk management.